MegaPhilX’s Captivate Chronicle April 20, 2010Posted by MegaPhilX in : Uncategorized , trackback
A lot of you have been asking me what is going on with CAPCOM about the “MegaMan 10 Website Incident”.
Well, here’s what is going on:
Thanks to CAPCOM, I’ve been heading to Hawaii to attend Captivate from April 13 to 16 2010. The super mega ultra awesome event where CAPCOM shows off all of their upcoming games for 2010.
Many of the producers such as Keiji Inafune were there too. It’s been incredible! ^_^ Thanks a lot, CAPCOM-Unity! ( :
Other super fans such as Toshin, TwiGGy and Curleh are also invited there. I wish N64Mario, Kevvviiinnn, Starsimsuniverse and Yan could also come though : P
But hey, there are so few fans that are invited there, I’m just super glad Seth invited me…
I’ve been writing notes on my cellphone as things were happening. Since I don’t have internet on my phone, I couldn’t tweet anything so I took notes for your entertainment:
Here we go:
- I wonder how this whole event is going to be… But it can’t be anything less than super awesome! ( :
- I haven’t got any sleep for more than 24 hours now. 13 hours total spent on an airplane. This is sheer insanity. But I bet it’ll all be worth it. ( :
- Finally made it to Honolulu. It turns out some of the other fans invited by CAPCOM were in the same plane and I didn’t realize it. Adam and Chad were there. Found the shuttle, heading over to our hotel. Let’s start the awesomeness!
- Wow… Our room… The view… I am speechless. I am without speech… Upon registration for the event, Capcom is giving me Udon comic books, a Bionic Commando soundtrack CD, Captivate flip-flops and towel and a sea shell necklace…
- The event hasn’t even started yet and Capcom freakin’ rules! ( :
- Met TwiGGy and Snow. Walked on the beach, talked about … what else… games ( :
- Went to the reception that kicks off the event. What a great buffet. I feel so out of place with all these people from Capcom I don’t really know. Kinda hard to fit in since I’m a bit shy and… I HAVEN’T SLEPT FOR ABOUT 30 HOURS! Oh and I met Seth and … I think I saw Keiji Inafune in there. But I was just so tired. I’ll go to bed and get ready for tomorrow.
- Went to swim in the ocean before breakfast with TwiGGy, Snow and Adam. Water is not super cold. Wow! Shoryuken-ed in the waves!
- By pure luck I got to sit at David Crislip’s table for breakfast. He’s an associate producer at CAPCOM and also translates for the japanese people here at the even. Got to talk about how they convert the games for North America, since he’s in charge of this. Wow. I can’t believe I’m actually talking about those things straight from the people involved. This conversation was nice because I learned many things about how the company works, namely that americans seem to have more actual input on the games than I thought. We both agreed that the North American translation of CAPCOM games has improved a lot in the last few years… and that MegaMan X6’s translation was… not that good ^_^
- It turns out Inafune was right next to me while I was picking up breakfeast at the buffet but… I wasn’t sure it was him. + I don’t want to bother him during meals…
- Captivate START! Inafune-san gave his introduction speech. Basically this is going to be like E3 but just for CAPCOM stuff. Inafune-san said that we can come up to him and tell him which games we would like to be made. Let’s do just that. Once we summon up the courage to go up to him and tell him. ( :
- Okay this is awesome I got to talk with Inafune-san a little bit (With help from his interpreter) and I got him to sign my MegaMan 1 cartridge. The already awesome cover art can’t look any more vintage now ( : I asked Inafune-san if there are any plans to make a MegaMan X9 soon (Obviously to let him know that was the game I would want made) and he said that there are no plans for a X9 for now. If they make a X game it won’t be X9. Got to mention MegaMan Unlimited to him a little while he was signing and drawing on TwiGGy’s MMBN wallscroll. I dunno if he cares but still… ^_^
- Presentation for Sengoku Basara Samurai Heroes with Devil May Cry 4 and Resident Evil 4 producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi. Got to take a picture with him. Wow!
- Lost Planet 2 Presentation with producer Jun Takeuchi. Got to take a picture with the Resident Evil 5 producer. Nice guy!
- Played Lost Planet 2 a little. Looks like a great online shooter. I like how your character is limited in his movement and moves. Makes you have to improvise and it makes those mech kills more satisfying.
- Played Dead Rising 2. I didn’t know the game is being made by Blue Castle, a company based in Vancouver. The combo weapons are awesome. Very funny ways of killing zombies. You can push a wheelchair around into zombies and one can even end up sitting in the chair while you ram that chair against a glass panel. Awesome!
- Marvel VS CAPCOM 3 looks AMAZING! That’s right! MVC3 is coming! Is your mind blown to pieces? I know mine is… ( : Got to see the trailer for it before everyone else and ask questions directly to Seth Killian and Ryota Niitsuma (Who also produced Tatsunoko VS CAPCOM).
- Waiting for the dinner, swam in the ocean and jumped into waves, making shinku-hadokens and stuff… lol
- Man there are A LOT of Japanese people here in Hawaii!
- At dinner, Chad, Jeremy and I had a lot of fun chatting with Jim Zubkavich from Udon. The guy is very cool and funny ^_^
- Well I’m calling it a hell of a day. Going to bed for Day 2.
- My whole body hurts! Guess that’s the price to pay for swimming and jumping in the water after 13 hours of not moving in a plane. It’s kinda cloudy today.
- Super Street Fighter IV Presentation with producer Yoshinori Ono. What an amazing game. It will feature many great online features for tournaments and stuff. Very community-oriented. I say it will become the reference for all fighting games to come. I played it. It’s awesome.
- Yoshinori Ono is amazing! He’s so enthousiast and funny. great guy. You can tell by this magnificient picture of him here. It just shows that this guy knows how lucky he is to work on Street Fighter games. ( :
- They held a SSFIV tournament for a special prize but I’m not participating. I’m not the greatest Street Fighter player and I’m having even more trouble playing with the arcade sticks unfortunately. But it was awesome to hear Seth commenting the matches. By the way, Seth is awesome ( :
- Okamiden presentation with Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney producer Motohide Eshiro. Looks like it’s going to be a great addition to the Okami series on the DS.
- Played Ghost Trick on the DS. Look forward to this game. It’s really great. It reminds me of the old point-and click adventure games like Full Throttle and Indiana Jones. ^_^
- Dead Rising 2 Presentation with Keiji Inafune and the Blue Castle guys. I’ve got what I was looking for: A sketch of X by the man himself: Inafune-san. What’s funny is that he had trouble remembering how to draw him so I showed him my avatar which is on my cellphone to help him. At first, he actually started drawing Zero and stopped to draw the real X picture so I have a half-drawn Zero chin from him … ( : This must be a dream…
- Got interviewed by Jeremy from The Gaming Nexus about Megaman Unlimited. I’m going to stay in touch with him, Chad, TwiGGy, Adam, Toshin and all of the other awesome people I got to meet here.
- Well, I took it easy for the rest of the day, going into round tables with more in-depth Q&A sessions with each of the producers for the games they presented. Got to ask some interesting questions I think.
- Beach, Pool, Ocean, Relaxing…
- The Last Dinner. Was so nice to sit back and relax after such intense awesomeness. Dinner was good but knocked me out. I didn’t stay up late. I went to thank Seth for such an awesome opportunity. he’s a great guy. He works hard to make SSFIV great and I’m telling you , it’s all worth it.
Well, this is it guys, it was a great Captivate. I’m really grateful to CAPCOM and especially Seth who invited me and somehow got me there. I’ll never forget those few days. I hope I’ll be able to see you guys again personally soon.
CAPCOM Unity rules!!!
Oh, also, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 is also coming! ( :
Now for a little update on MegaMan Unlimited if you care:
- I’m done with rough placement of enemies in maps of all stages. (Except YokuMan’s stage which is made by Starsimsuniverse)
- I’ve animated Yo-yoMan’s behaviour in Flash for when the time comes to program him. It took less time than expected.
- I’ve started to draw the pictures for the ending. Only 2 are done so far : P
- Made a few changes to GlueMan and NailMan stages.
- Animated GlueMan’s behavior flash animation and finished his missing sprites.
- Animating CometWoman’s behavior in flash.