This is my story of developing Megaman Unlimited. 5 years of my life. A lot of things happened during those 5 years…
September 22nd 2008
- Mega Man 9 is released
- I get heavily involved in the Megaman forums on Capcom Unity talking about Megaman 9 and Megaman in general.
- I am one of the winners of the Ultimate Megaman Fan contest to win the Megaman 9 Press Kit and Inafune-autographed T-Shirt.
- My entries into the contest included pictures of my Megaman collection, Youtube videos and this artwork redesigning many robot masters I drew when I was a child.
January 5th 2009
- I post on my Youtube channel a flash animation of an hypothetical Megaman 10 gameplay video using TankMan, one of the robot masters featured in the illustration I made for the Capcom contest. I’ve worked on this animation for 2 or 3 months, as I’ve pretty much learned how Flash animation and Famitracker work by doing this. My friend Yan Thouin made most of the music.
February 3rd 2009
- I post another fake gameplay flash animation on my Youtube channel. This time of the RainbowMan Stage.
February 27th 2009
- After seeing my Youtube videos, StarsimsUniverse and N64Mario contact me and convince me. I end up deciding to make a full game out of this.
- The game will be called “Megaman 10”. (I never thought there would be an actual official Megaman 10.)
- I announce that I’ll start working on making all the stages, sprites and everything for the development of “Megaman 10” on N64Mario’s Megaman Engine made in Multimedia Fusion 2. This marks the beginning of me making all the assets of the game. It will take a looong time to do.
- Start working on the design of the game. Writing a design document.
March 11th 2009
- Design document ready.
- Working on making the game in Multimedia Fusion. Learning how the software works.
- Title screen, intro sequence, Stage Select screen get done.
- Starting to build NailMan’s stage to test the engine.
May 12th 2009
- Working on intro sequence and Yo-yoMan Stage.
- Started working on (the now unused) tileset of YokuMan Stage
- Started work on JetMan Stage.
May 24th 2009
- Released the first actual gameplay preview of the game using the Multimedia Fusion 2 engine made by N64Mario. It only showcases some music I made and an empty NailMan Stage (no enemies).
June 15th 2009
- Thinking that my Robot Master line up of JetMan, TankMan, NailMan, NitroMan, GlueMan, RainbowMan, HammerMan and Yo-yoMan needed more variety, Comet Woman is born! I’m considering having her replace GlueMan.
June 17th 2009
- Continuing work on Robot Masters sprites animation when I have free time at lunch at work. Yo-yoMan, TankMan and RainbowMan are done. YokuMan and NailMan are almost finished.
- Still can’t decide whether I should keep CometWoman or GlueMan in the game.
- Kevvviiinnn composed the first JetMan Stage song. (This will eventually get replaced.)
June 18th 2009
- Kevvviiinnn creates the first iteration of the YokuMan Stage song.
June 25th 2009
- Announced I’ll use Kevvviiinnn’s Stage 25 song for Wily Stage 1. Ironically, I’ll end up scrapping this idea but re-using it later when I find that my song is not good enough.
- I think I’m going to keep GlueMan in the game and still add CometWoman somehow. Thinking about featuring CometWoman as a secret boss that appears before the final set of stages. (À la BreakMan from MM3)
- NailMan’s level design is done from start to finish.
- Started to build JetMan’s level. Things are going faster than I expected. I’m designing the stages directly in Photoshop with the grid feature.
- YokuMan’s sprites are finished.
- Have to add an additional tileset to YokuMan’s for fake platforms and walls.
- Currently making NitroMan’s sprites. JetMan soon.
- Currently drawing the castle for the final stages presentation
July 3rd 2009
- I’m on vacation
- Finished drawing the Captured Wily Castle picture for the final stages introduction.
- Composed the first iteration of my Wily Stage 1 song.
July 6th 2009
- Kevvviiinnn composes what will eventually become the Wily Stage 4 song.
July 11th 2009
- After discussing with StarsimsUniverse and N64Mario, the final line-up of Robot Masters is set in stone: JetMan, TankMan, NailMan, NitroMan, GlueMan, RainbowMan, CometWoman and Yo-yoMan. YokuMan will be a secret boss. CometWoman replaces HammerMan.
- RainbowMan’s stage is designed and in the game.
July 15th 2009
- Intro, Stage Select and Stage Start sequences are done in the engine. Released a video to show this.
July 20th 2009
- Re-made my RainbowMan song.
July 28th 2009
- Composed a song for CometWoman’s stage.
August 6th 2009
- Kevvviiinnn has agreed for me to use this song for NitroMan’s stage. Ironically, it won’t be used in the end.
- I’m spriting enemies now. Looking at old drawings and the R20 book for inspiration.
- I’m done with the tileset for the first Wily Stage.
- Wily Castle Map is done.
- I have a pretty good idea of the story and how the final levels are going to be.
August 9th 2009
- I post a video asking people questions for a future Q&A video.
August 17th 2009
- Tilesets for all the stages are done. Moving on to focus on making the sprites.
August 19th 2009
- GlueMan now has a song thanks to Kevvviiinnn.
September 4th 2009
- TankMan Stage is built. All enemies of this stage are sprited.
- Story is set in stone. (Not dialog but the overall story)
- Overall game flow is decided too.
September 8th 2009
- JetMan Stage is built.
September 12th 2009
- Kevvviiinnn releases the Yo-yoMan Stage theme. The reference for this song was TornadoMan’s theme from Megaman 9. This will eventually become the theme used in the trailer of Megaman Unlimited.
September 22 2009
- Building CometWoman’s stage.
- Enemy sprites are done for most of the stages.
- I’ve imported 4 of the stages into the engine. They look amazing but they are empty and it’s impossible to play through the full stage because of missing features.
October 3rd 2009
- I get married. My childhood friend Jansim is part of the guest list. :) This is one of the greatest moments in my life.
October 12th 2009
- CometWoman Stage Terrain & Background: DONE
- NailMan Stage Terrain & Background: DONE
- RainbowMan Stage Terrain & Background: DONE
- TankMan Stage Terrain & Background: DONE
- JetMan Stage Terrain & Background: DONE
- Captured Wily Castle Stage 1 Terrain & Background: 75%
- Small Enemies and Sub-Bosses Sprites Progress: 90%
- Robot Masters Sprites Progress: 80%
- Captured Wily Castle Bosses Sprites: 0%
- Weapons Sprites: 95%
- All Tilesets: 95% (Some additional details might be needed when I get to the stages I haven’t started to build yet.)
October 27th 2009
- Kevvviiinnn makes the Wily Stage 3 song. I asked him to use “We Are the Robots” as a reference.
- Making pause menu icons
- Finished Yo-yoMan’s Stage
- Polishing some of my songs so that they sound better.
- Pause Menu layout & Weapon Icons 99% DONE!
November 9th 2009
- megaphilx.com is born.
November 12th 2009
- Composed the game over song
- Working on NitroMan’s stage terrain. Almost done.
- My friend Yan Thouin (who composed the Stage Select, Weapon Get and original TankMan theme) creates his Youtube channel.
November 25th 2009
- I’ve been really tired these days and not really motivated in continuing the project. I felt like I was going insane. So I took a little break from it and I plan to get back to it in a few days.
December 6th 2009
- Composing the Wily Stage 5 theme.
- Composing a song for the end credits of the game. (Never going to materialize in the end.)
- Almost done with GlueMan stage design
- Started composing the Wily Stage Boss song.
- Need to test N64Mario’s engine more.
December 9th 2009
- Megaman 10 is announced.
December 17th 2009
- The Megaman 10 website is online, featuring some of the graphical assets of my game on it. I can’t believe it. I don’t know what to do except being excited. ^_^
- The Capcom store also features very briefly my original first illustration for the project I made back in the Megaman contest. The picture is quickly removed.
- I now have a pretty good idea of what the first Wily Boss will be and do. The second Wily Boss is designed and sprited
December 18th 2009
- Seth Killian (Then Community Manager of Capcom Unity) contacts me about what to do with the Megaman 10 website situation. He offers me a choice between 2 options:
- We could remove it all (my assets) and apologize.
- We could leave it as is, and credit you.
- I chose option 2. We’ll see what happens.
January 3rd 2010
- I change the name of the game for “Megaman Unlimited” (instead of Megaman 10)
- Still waiting on feedback from Capcom regarding the website issue.
- Kevvviiinnn makes a tribute medley to Megaman Unlimited. This gets me even more motivated.
- N64Mario releases a video showing Ninji exploring the empty RainbowMan Stage as a gift to StarsimsUniverse.
- Fixing little problems with NailMan’s stage theme.
- Converting recent songs to OGG format for the game.
- Designing terrain for Wily Stage 1
- Making Wily bosses (2 are done)
- Composing Wily Boss Battle songs.
- Considering composing an entirely new title screen song maybe…
- I have a bunch of ideas for songs. There is the credits song too… : P
- I’ll starts creating the enemies in the game itself soon (Importing all the sprites and creating the objects and stuff.)
January 13th 2010
- Me and N64Mario are sharing the game data now.
- In the next few weeks, my main task will be to create little animations showing the behavior of all the small enemies I’ve created. So that N64Mario can know exactly what I have in mind.
- I sprited most of the Wily Castle Bosses. Still there are a few sprites to make.
- Wily Stage 4 terrain is designed.
- Wily Stage 1 terrain is 50% done.
- I still have Stage 2 and 3 to make. : P
- Robot Master line-up of Megaman 10 is revealed. Megaman 10 will have a NitroMan. I’m thinking about changing my NitroMan’s name to TrinitroMan.
- Kevvviiinnn is working on 2 of the final bosses’ songs.
- I’ve got the english MegaMan, MegaMan X and MegaMan Zero Complete Works artbooks.
January 25th 2010
- Thinking about changing the title screen song.
- Working on a new cover art.
- Working on intro logos for the people who are working on the game with me.
- N64Mario has put all 8 Robot Master stages in the game! Right now he is making revisions and optimizations to the whole thing to make sure it runs smoothly.
- I’ve made some minor fixes to the placement of tiles and spikes and also fixed errors that I made in the original stage layout
- I get the idea for CometWoman’s Orbit Shot attack while trying to sleep when sick.
February 8th 2010
- N64Mario has coded a few of the special platforms. Our goal is to be able to make it to the end of each of the 8 Robot Masters stages without using the gravity cheat debug key. Then, we’ll we start adding the enemies in.
- JetMan and TankMan’s stage are playable to the end. RainbowMan has the lasers and everything in his stage too. There are still problems with the slide though.
- Working on the Weapon Get screen, Wily stages, enemy behavior animations, title screen and credits music, etc.
- Tweaking the stage designs.
February 19th 2010
- All 8 Stages Robot Master Stages are now playable from beginning to end thanks to N64Mario.
- Only a couple of platforms need more work but otherwise, most special platforms are coded in. There are still no enemies in the stages.
- Slide is still not functional
- Slowdown problems must be fixed (especially in RainbowMan Stage)
- Done animating special weapons in flash.
February 24th 2010
- Finished designing the terrain for Wily Stage 2. All stages are designed. (Except YokuMan Stage, as StarsimsUniverse is supposed to design it)
March 1st 2010
- Megaman 10 is released.
- Taking a break from working on Megaman Unlimited.
March 26th 2010
- Animating Wily Castle bosses.
- N64Mario will re-work some of the core of the engine soon.
March 31st 2010
- Megaman Universe is cancelled.
April 13th to 16th 2010
- Captivate 2010 in Hawaii (Capcom’s press event)
- Thanks to Seth Killian, I get to go to attend Captivate in Hawaii. You can read the whole chronicle of my experience there on this page.
- Got to meet Keiji Inafune and had him sign my Megaman 1 cartridge and draw a sketch of X.
- Got interviewed by Jeremy from Gaming Nexus.
April 20th 2010
- I’m done with rough placement of enemies in maps of all stages. (Except YokuMan’s stage which is supposed to be made by StarsimsUniverse)
- I’ve animated Yo-yoMan’s behaviour in Flash for when the time comes to program him. It took less time than expected.
- I’ve started to draw the pictures for the ending. Only 2 are done so far : P
- Made a few changes to GlueMan and NailMan stages.
- Animated GlueMan’s behavior flash animation and finished his missing sprites.
- Animating CometWoman’s behavior in flash.
May 4th 2010
- I’m almost finished animating the Robot Masters in Flash for programming guidelines. Only ones left are NailMan, JetMan and YokuMan.
- I still have 3 Wily bosses to animate.
- I still have to finish animating the small enemies.
- I’m working on cutscene and ending pictures.
- I’ve finalized most Robot Masters sprites.
- Kevvviiinnn, reworked all of his MMU songs and they sound even better. But we won’t release them until the game is done.
- I’ll re-work NailMan’s song a little and I’ll make some small changes to RainbowMan’s song.
- Kevvviiinnn composed 3 special boss songs and they are awesome! ( :
- The long journey of making all the assets for the game is almost at its end!
May 19th 2010
- I don’t feel like drawing. I don’t feel like making pixel art. I feel like the music I’m making sucks. I just don’t feel like putting those ideas on paper or on screen for now. Maybe I’m just tired or lazy. I don’t know. Things will slow down for me for a while since I can’t seem to get myself to produce stuff. And when your mind isn’t there, you can’t do anything… : P Once I feel like working again, I’ll finish this. So close and yet so far.
- The final boss of the game is ready to be animated. I just don’t feel like doing it for now… : P
July 10th 2010
- I’ll be on vacation for 3 weeks going to China soon!
- I’ve finished animating the final boss’ AI behavior in Flash.
- I’ve started implementing some of the cutscenes in the game (For example, I’ve put the Wily Castle map 1 and 2 in there already.
- I’ve updated the title screen music and I still have to replace the stage songs with the new versions.
- Once of my colleagues (Gab) has offered me to try and program a new engine of his own in C++ for Megaman Unlimited. But we’ll see once N64Mario fixes his computer and gets back to work and after I get back from China.
July 14th 2010
- Development has been very slow for a while now, N64Mario told me that he might find motivation again if I design a debug stage (Zoo), I’m currently working on a Debug Stage to develop all the features of the game and the engine.
- Working on pictures for cutscene. I’ll re-make some of the graphics for the intro of the game too.
August 1st 2010
- I’m back from China I have 1 week of vacation left to rest after the trip. It was an exhausting trip but I saw many great things there. I love China! ^_^ It’s now 5:08 PM but it feels like 5h08 AM … I wanna go to bed…
August 8th 2010
- Gab’s C++ engine turns out to be very promising so, after asking N64Mario if it’s okay, Megaman Unlimited officially switches from Multimedia Fusion 2 to Gab’s engine.
- We have a first draft of the stage select screen and a short section of Yo-yoMan’s stage with Running, Jumping, Sliding, Climbing a ladder, shooting, getting hurt and also the screen transitions work.
- I can easily tweak the variables to make sure MegaMan is controlled the same way as the original games
- Communication with Gab works way better since he sits right behind me at work.
- Now I have to convert many of my assets to be used in this new engine.
- We are so pumped up that we consider making the game run on MAC and PSP. Even a 2-Player mode! (Our ambitions will soon drop to a more reasonable level… :) )
September 23rd 2010
- We are working to get the Yo-yoMan stage completely functional. (including enemies and boss)
- I’ve been working hard on preparing sprites, backgrounds and collisions for implementation in the game.
- All the stages are ready to be put in the game.
- Kevvviiinnn has finished making the Staff Roll song.
November 4th 2010
- Done preparing all the objects, enemies, bosses and projectiles’ sprites as well as their collision data for the game.
- Keiji Inafune is leaving Capcom.
March 10th 2011
- Yo-yoMan, RainbowMan, TankMan and CometWoman stages are feature-complete! (Enemies, platforms and bosses done)
- JetMan and GlueMan stages are in progress.
- Our project at our real job (Me and Gab) is taking a lot of our time.
- I did a lot of work on improving the tilesets of a few of the stages: NailMan, TankMan, GlueMan, TrinitroMan and Yo-yoMan. (TrinitroMan’s stage background has been redone completely.)
- We don’t know if we will be able to include YokuMan in the game yet. We want to finish the project as soon as possible. Also, StarsimsUniverse is nowhere to be found.
- I end up designing the YokuMan stage and boss on my own.
June 3rd 2011
- Megaman Unlimited joins Facebook!
- Right now the game is at a stage where 4 Robot Masters and their stages and enemies are completed. The other stages are in-progress.
June 27th 2011
- Our project (A big one) at our real job (Me and Gab) has been cancelled. Gab goes to another company.At this point, Gab’s involvement in MMU will decrease and Jansim will take the helm. Gab will eventually come back later for a few things and ultimately to help us wrap things up at the end…
- We now have a new programmer on board! Jansim, a friend of mine from high school. Welcome aboard! Let’s rock! ( :
July 6th 2011
- Working on placing items in all stages of the game. (Except E-Tanks and W-Tanks… they are not made yet)
July 14th 2011
- Placing special platforms in TrinitroMan’s stage
July 23rd 2011
- MegaMan Legends 3 cancelled. WHAAAAA!?!?!?
August 7th 2011
- Placing Disappearing Blocks in YokuMan’s stage
August 11th 2011
- Placed 2 more enemy types in TrinitroMan’s stage. Thanks to Jansim!
August 12th 2011
- Jansim implemented TrinitroMan today along with another enemy for his stage. Just did a couple of tweaks to TM’s behaviour and pattern difficulty. He rocks! He’s quickly becoming one of my favorite bosses.
August 29th 2011
- Another new enemy in JetMan’s stage + GlueMan finally lives! I’m happy to say he’s pretty cool to fight. Thanks, Jansim!
September 3rd 2011
- Forkift Sub-Boss of JetMan Stage is now functional!
September 6th 2011
- We’ve changed renderer now and the game runs smoother! Even fullscreen!
September 7th 2011
- We now have bilinear filtering.
September 12th 2011
- JetMan Stage is now enemies-complete! JetMan himself is next.
- Working on a chart of enemy reactions to weapons.
September 16th 2011
- Thanks to Jansim, Jetman is now online and kicking ass! That Jet Missile can be a pain to dodge!
September 20th 2011
- Work has started on NailMan Stage. Jansim is working on the moving platforms. I’m working on a few graphical updates to this stage. (I wasn’t very satisfied with the nail-spikes) Overall, excluding bosses, there are around 13 simple enemies left to implement.
September 24th 2011
- Working on NailMan’s stage. We’ve got both special platform types ready and placed but the moving platforms still have bugs. The Cross-Nailer enemy is now functional and ready to be placed throughout the level.
September 26th 2011
- Placing Cross-Nailers and MetJacks throughout NailMan’s Stage. HammerMan is in progress. After that, it’s NailMan himself.
October 5th 2011
- HammerMan is pretty much finished now. And he can be a real pain if you’re not careful! Next: NailMan!
October 9th 2011
- NailMan is alive. And he is by far the most badass of the robot masters. I hate him so much. -Jansim
October 26th 2011
- Sub-Bosses of GlueMan’s stage are done. Only one enemy left to complete that is specific to this stage. Next: a few global enemies. (Enemies that can appear in any level. (Not many of them though.)
December 11th 2011
- All 8 Robot Master Stages are done except GlueMan’s which is missing a few enemies. The 9th stage, YokuMan’s, has blocks placed but no enemies yet. The 8 normal Robot Master bosses are functional too. So we are missing a couple of GlueMan’s enemies, some of the YokuMan enemies and YokuMan himself. The priority is of course to finish the enemies first so that I can edit the trailer.
December 25th 2011
- Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you’re having a good time!
December 30th 2011
- Coded 2 new enemies yesterday and 2 more this morning. -Jansim
December 31st 2011
- Mega New Year everyone! Hope you’re having some fun tonight! And I sincerely hope 2012 will be the year for MegaMan Unlimited!
January 6th 2012
- Released first mini-trailer: French Megaman Commercial
February 21st 2011
- Finally released Megaman Unlimited’s first Official Trailer!
February 22nd 2012
- Thanks to Jansim, YokuMan is now functional in the game! I have completely re-made the stage tileset.
- Official Trailer is featured on website Rockman Corner.
February 24th 2012
- Megaman Unlimited Official Trailer featured on EventStatus’ show! Thanks a lot buddy! You rock harder than ever! Keep at it!
February 26th 2012
- Work begun on the Special Weapons system. It’s going to be a lot of work. We need to be able to handle all the different cases: Ignore shield, Damage multipliers, No effect, Immuned, etc…
February 28th 2012
- The Rainbow Beam is now in the game. It’ll be our first weapon to tweak and test the system. I’m going to have to make sure that the damage reactions of every enemy is working correctly. The weapon itself still have some more work needed on it.
March 2nd 2012
- YOU GOT COMET DASH
March 8th 2012
- We only have 2 weapons in the game now but it allows us to test and improve the weapons systems before implementing the other weapons. Like, Jansim has fixed energy cost and invincibility delay bugs + implemented a system that allows me to set each enemy with a damage multiplier, immunity or weaknesses to certain weapons. Once the system works, implementing the other weapons will go pretty fast I think.
- Oh, and we now have colored weapon energy meters! Yay!
March 11th 2012
- Y-O-U G-O-T Y-O-Y-O C-U-T-T-E-R
- Gab went to the GDC and brought me a Capcom shirt back! Awesome!
April 9th 2012
- Thinking about adding a couple of alternate paths in some stages. Already added one to TankMan Stage…
April 24th 2012
- The Jet Missile weapon is in!
May 4th 2012
- Cutscene engine completed
May 8th 2012
- All CastleMaps done. Working on Ending cutscene… Next: Weapon Get cutscenes.
- Jansim is working on Wily Castle Stage Boss #1.
May 17th 2012
- Finally done with setting up the staff roll cutscene. Next: Weapon Get.
June 4th 2012
- Your favorite Blue Bomber has a new weapon to it’s arsenal : Nitro Blast!
June 13th 2012
- Coding weapon select menu -Jansim
June 20th 2012
- We’ve got an Early Draft of the Pause Menu in the game now. Right now, we can only pause the game and scroll through the weapons. Many more features are still to be done, but that’s a good start!
June 25th 2012
- The Pause Menu is pretty much completed now -Jansim
June 29th 2012
- Wily Stage 2 boss is well on its way. Only a few bugs to fix now…
July 9th 2012
- So, I think I’m pretty much done with adding new sections to the levels in the game now. The next step for level design will be to tweak the existing levels, fix bugs/difficulty issues and add remaining items.
July 12th 2012
- Now placing Reinforced Walls in all stages. You know, those walls that require a certain weapon to destroy.
July 30th 2012
- Thanks to Kevvviiinnn, we now have an awesome Wily Stage 3 Boss Battle song! Great work man!
August 16th 2012
- Rockman Xover is announced
September 26th 2012
- Ok, enough with the slacking, let’s get back to work. Fans have waited long enough. -Jansim
October 13th 2012
- *Sitting in front of the computer, staring at Yo-yoMan fighting Megaman, making sure it works well*
October 15th 2012
- Fans replicate the Rockman Xover gameplay in a Flash game developed within 24 hours.
October 16th 2012
- Bug: Megaman is not invulnerable during an in-game cutscene.
Result: Other objects in the cutscene can kick Megaman’s ass while the controls are locked.
Expected Result: Megaman should be invulnerable during an in-game cutscene so other objects can pass through with no harm.
How did this happen?: We never actually tested an in-game cutscene without the Invulnerability cheat.
October 25th 2012
- New song for Wily Stage 2 from Kevvviiinnn! Yay! Besides the tweaks necessary to CometWoman and NailMan’s songs, that would make all our stage songs complete! – Phil
October 27th 2012
- Trying to fix small bugs using my awesome novice programming skills! : P
October 30th 2012
- Yes, we are still at work on Wily Stage 4. This stage has multiple bosses and fairly complex layout. Definitely the biggest stage in terms of features.
- Kevin recently finished the Wily Stage 2 new song. He’s going to take a look at how to improve my CometWoman and NailMan songs.
- And I’m cooking mashed potatoes. : D
November 8th 2012
- Working on adding a new background animation to Wily Stage 1. Gonna work on the first sections of GlueMan and JetMan stages because they feel a bit empty. They need a bit more enemies.
November 21st 2012
- So, now, after we’re done tweaking the current boss, there will be only 2 bosses left to implement. After that, a few features are still missing (See Notes: Progress so Far). After that, it will be debugging.
I can’t tell you when the whole thing will be finished but I just wanna say that I can’t wait and I wanna thank you all for supporting us and still showing love and interest in our work even after all this time! This project really is powered by Megaman fans! We’re not giving up after making it this far!
December 8th 2012
- Street Fighter X Megaman is announced.
Devember 13th 2012
- An interview with the makers of Megaman 25th Anniversary. Orie made a little shout out to MMU in there! Thanks!
December 17th 2012
- 25th Anniversary of the Megaman franchise
- I wish I had more time to do something fancier but heh, we’re working on a game right? : ) Anyway, Happy 25th anniversary, Megaman! What are you going to do to celebrate Megaman’s 25th anniversary?
- Street Fighter X Megaman is released
January 1st 2013
- Ok here is a list of things I’ve done so far during holidays :
– Nail shield projectiles spread
– E-Tanks functionality
– Water splashes
– Air bubbles underwater
– Boss’ health meters colors
– Boss flash when hurt
– Fixed some bugs ( boss invincibility, rush jet, yokuman, vertical moving platforms )
I hope I can clear some more work before I return to my real life work -Jansim
January 2nd 2013
- Me and Jansim as we met in our hometown during the holidays. Happy New Year everyone! May 2013 be a good one for all of you guys!
January 4th 2013
- Title Screen and Game Menu are done
January 23rd 2013
- I just found out MMU has a page on TVTropes. Some of the data is a bit outdated but it was pretty fun to read!
January 25th 2013
- Final Boss’ intro and outro cutscenes are in thanks to Jansim. Now I gotta tweak their timing and object positions. Meanwhile, I guess Jansim is going to work on the boss itself.
February 19th 2013
- Man it frickin’ ROCKS to be able to save your game!
March 13th 2013
- Jansim’s working on setting up the ability to customize keyboard and controller controls. I test that.
- NeoWiz confirms Rockman Online is cancelled.
March 19th 2013
- Ok now we can pretty much configure controls for both the keyboard and the controller independently from each other. Only a few small things to fix and we’ll be able to put that whole controls configuration behind us I guess. Many thanks to Jansim for implementing this. Yeah I know it’s boring stuff…
March 23rd 2013
- Capcom talks about new Megaman game, then clarifies that NO new Megaman game is confirmed. Otherwise, new DuckTales remake and D&D Mystara collection
- The Megaman Unlimited title logo along with its Japanese counter part ロックマン アンリミテッド.
April 3rd 2013
- Weapon absorb sequence functional and in tweaking thanks to Jansim again!
April 14th 2013
- Shock Guard (The item protecting you from death spikes) is done.
April 27th 2013
- Jansim has added the ability to use Weapon Energy Tanks and fixed that bug with CometWoman getting stuck in the left wall in the screenshot posted earlier.
April 29th 2013
- Megaman Unlimited is now alpha!
- Japanese-Style Trailer is released. Featuring Ayumi Hamasaki’s song “UNITE!”.
May 6th 2013
- Laid off from my job along with 18 other employees. I had been working 12+ years for the same company.
May 9th 2013
- Entering bug-fixing phase.
- Started doing playthroughs of the game on my TV, taking notes, logging bugs. Without a job, I now have plenty of time to do so.
May 16th 2013
- Finally done setting up the ending Robot Master cast cutscene! All we’re missing now is a song!
May 23rd 2013
- Testing fixed issues. We have roughly 30 known issues in our list.
May 29th 2013
- We have about 20 known issues left.
- Megaman is announced to be in the next Super Smash Bros.
June 13th 2013
- Nailed down all the options that are going to appear on the Options Menu.
June 23rd 2013
- Announced release date! Megaman Unlimited will release on July 14th 2013.
- Determined which issues won’t be fixed for release.
- Released some wallpapers.
- This marks crunch time for us. During this period, I test the game during the day along with StarsimsUniverse and N64Mario; and on evenings, Gab and Jansim fix those bugs. This will keep going almost everyday until 1 week before release.
- We have to release the game because a company I’m applying at won’t allow me to work on a personal project if I work for them.
- Fatigue sets in. Gab and Jansim are tired. I am incredibly tired and quite stressed. I’m afraid of finding bugs in the game.
June 25rd 2013
- Kevvviiinnn’s NailMan song is ready. (Last minute I know). (I was never happy with my own song so I’m glad Kevin got the time to make the final one. The reference was StrikeMan’s theme from Megaman 10.)
June 28rd 2013
- I send the build to Tony Ponce of Destructoid so that he can review it for release.
July 7th 2013
- 1 week until release.
- Assets and code are now frozen. No changes are to be made until release. Me, Gab and Jansim stop working on the project. I even stopped testing the game. Too afraid of finding major issues.
- To coincide with the release of Megaman Unlimited, I made a new cover art in the style of the Japanese cover art for the NES games.
July 10th 2013
July 11th 2013
- Created the Megaman Unlimited forums
July 12th 2013
- The final build has been made: 76.1MB. The game will be available on megaphilx.com on July 14, 2013 around 11am, eastern daylight time.
- The build contains a last minute low-risk fix for a crash I found with the Yo-yoMan battle.
July 14th 2013
- Megaman Unlimited is released!
- Our first review is in from Destructoid!
- Jansim and Gab keep watching MMU races and playthroughs. I’m too tired and attached to MMU to watch playthroughs yet. In the end I started watching playthroughs too because of all the overwhelming great reactions.
- I watch EmeraldSniper’s reaction to the final bosses in the MMU races. He’s the first person that I know who has completed the game after playing 7 hours with Jansim, Gab and Starsims in his stream. That was one great moment.
July 15th 2013
- Released the soundtrack
- Gab and Jansim work to fix surprise issues that popped up after release. (There was no way for us to fix everything for every computer people have so having thousands of people play the game helped find more issues)
July 17th 2013
- While the majority of people love the game, some people are complaining that the game is too hard. Following that, we decide to make a update to include an Easy Mode. (Version 1.1.0)
July 18th 2013
- Another review in!
July 19th 2013
- I continue my ongoing Developer’s Let’s Play of MMU. (I’ll eventually stop after the 8 Robot Maser because of computer issues.)
July 28th 2013
- Done with placement of EZBlocks in all the Robot Masters stages and Wily Stage 1. Only 3 stages left to do.
- Gab and Jansim fix more bugs. Also a Inta-Death Mode in which Megaman dies in only 1 hit is added.
July 29th 2013
- I have added Kevvviiinnn and Ang Shi Cheng’s mirrors of the MMU soundtrack on the soundtrack page on megaphilx.com
August 4th 2013
- Version 1.1.0 is released. This version now includes an Easy Mode and Insta-Death Mode among other tweaks and bug fixes.
August 14th 2013
- Released a montage of all the Flash animations I made to show the enemy/boss behaviour designs for the project before it was programmed.
August 23rd 2013
- Released maps of all the stages.
September 2nd 2013
- I show a first screenshot of the WhirlpoolMan Stage.
September 15th 2013
- Gab releases a special version of 1.1.0 called 1.1.0SR especially for speed runners.
- Reverted a bug fix with the Glue Shot that allowed Megaman to pass through walls.
- Reverted a bug fix allowing you to kill JetMan and RainbowMan instantly while they enter the room in Wily 4
- Added an in-game timer
- Short version of cutscenes for Wily 3 and 4 plays by default
October 2nd 2013
- 6000 Likes on MMU’s Facebook page!
October 5th 2013
- Released a preview of the WhirpoolMan Stage. I still don’t know if I’ll get the whole thing done. WhirlpoolMan’s stage is fully completed except for the boss. Me and Jansim thought about adding new features such as this stage but we are both tired so, I’ve put this idea on ice… Besides, I have to get a job… I really don’t feel like working on MMU now after being without a job for so long… I’ve been running on pure adrenaline since the release of MMU, sometimes forgetting I don’t have a job.
December 5th 2013
- I finally get a new job. This marks the end of 7 months of being without one. Being jobless at least allowed me to properly crunch through MMU’s wrap-up and release.
December 31st 2013
- Now with a job, I get a bit more in the creative mood. Right before leaving to celebrate the new year, I make a quick hack of MMU and release a Happy New Year video which is a very early draft of the functionality of Endless Attack Mode.
- My daughter is born. One of the greatest moments in my life.
March 3rd 2014
- Taking this into my own hands and because I think MMU’s gameplay has yet to be fully exploited, I decide to go ahead and make the Endless Attack mode. I ask the fans of the game if they want to help design some areas of the Endless Stage.
- From now until release of version 1.2.0, I’ll keep developing Endless Attack Modes on lunch time at work and in my spare time at home.
April 26th 2014
- With the Endless Attack Mode well on its way, I get better and better with programming and decide to develop WhirlpoolMan’s behavior on my own. But thinking I’m not good enough, I decide to not give Megaman a weapon when defeating him.
May 2nd 2014
- I announced the feature set of version 1.2.0
May 26th 2014
- 7000 Likes on MMU’s Facebook page!
June 12th 2014
- Only 3 of the 52 Endless Attack areas are left to build.
June 16th 2014
- Playing Endless Attack mode, making tweaks to the difficulty with the help of fellow players StarsimsUniverse, N64Mario, RoahmMythril, MSX and SlurpeeNinja.
June 20th 2014
- I replace my Wily Stage 1 song for Kevvviiinnn’s song I originally chose for this stage.
June 30th 2014
- The last section of Endless Attack has been added. I also added an option to choose the Wily Stage 1 song in the options file. Now all we need is Kevvviiinnn’s song for Endless Attack mode and things should be complete!
July 14th 2014
- It’s been 1 year since Megaman Unlimited originally released!
July 24th 2014
- YOU GOT
AWESOME ENDLESS ATTACK MODE SONG FROM KEVVVIIINNN!
July 28th 2014
- While waiting for Kevin’s song, I ended up programming WhirlpoolMan’s weapon: the Water Cannon, into the game.
July 30th 2014
- Playing through the game using the Water Cannon against everything. Found only 1 issue so far (Against the Chanzers and Spreazers enemies)
I’m at Wily 2 with no major problems yet.
Doing small tweaks to the weapon.
August 1st 2014
- Lost my job again because the project lacks enough funding. : P Everyone on the team is laid off.
- Released version 1.2.0. Made a trailer for it.
August 2nd 2014
- Updated the soundtrack.
August 8th 2014
- I decide to add the Charge shot in the game myself.
- Encountered a lot of issues while doing so.
August 16th 2014
- Released version 1.2.1 which features more bug fixes and the Charge Shot.
August 25th 2014
- I get a new job, again.
September 30th 2014
- Finished releasing all the sprites of the game on this page.
October 3rd 2014
- Added WhirlpoolMan’s stage Map to the Maps page.
November 1st 2014
- Released a trailer to showcase the new Charge Shot feature
January 7th 2015
- SlurpeeNinja performs an amazing speedrun of Mega Man Unlimited live on Awesome Games Done Quick for charity! There couldn’t be a better birthday present. Watching this was so much fun! ^_^
- I get this cool idea of making super-powered up version of the Robot Masters and including them in a Challenge Mode..
February 16th 2015
- New song for RainbowMan Stage from Spriter Gors!.
March 4th 2015
- Released version 1.2.2 which sees the addition of special challenges where you can face Omega version of all the Robot Masters. It turns out many people enjoyed those new challenges and posted videos on Youtube of them beating them within just a few days..
- Secretly start working again on making the Z-Prototype playable. Jansim jumps in to help. ^_^.
March 27th 2015
- Posted the first screenshot teasing the inclusion of Z-Prototype as a playable character in Mega Man Unlimited..
April 19th 2014
- Released trailer for version 1.3.0. The Z-Prototype is unleashed!
June 3rd 2015
- Mighty No.9 announces, among other things, an Insta-Death Mode features in which Beck gets killed in 1-Hit. Reminds me of an identical feature named exactly the same in Mega Man Unlimited..
June 8th 2015
- Mega Man Legacy Collection is announced.
July 14th 2015
- Mega Man Unlimited is now 2 years old!.
July 19th 2015
- Doing more testing and tweaking for the release of Endurance Attack and Z-Prototype’s addition to the Endless/Endurance Attack stages..
July 28th 2015
- Released version 1.3.1.
- Added Endurance Attack Mode
- Z-Prototype is now playable in Endless Attack and Endurance Attack Modes
- Added more stages to Endless/Endurance Attack modes
- Tweaks to many of the Endless/Endurance Attack Stages
August 14th 2015
- More fixes to the game.
- Fixed an issue causing Z-Prototype to get stuck in Hisuishou when performing the move at exactly 20 or 21 pixels from a ceiling in a 32 pixels-high corridor
- Fixed Down+Jump Slide still working even if disabled when you press Down+Jump as Mega Man lands.
August 17th 2015
- Stan de Lange (RFDuxTape) beats Endurance Mode in 31:37.45.
August 18th 2015
- Mega Man Unlimited’s Facebook page get over 9000 likes! Thanks everyone!.
August 24th 2015
- Stan (aka RFDuxTape on TwitchTV) (aka OrkTV on Youtube) completes Endurance Attack as Mega Man with a final time of 50:39.35! Congratulations!.
August 25th 2015
- Mega Man Legacy Collection is released in North America.
August 29th 2015
- Update of version 1.3.1.
- Modified 1 section of endless/endurance to avoid climbing a ladder into the ceiling.
- Tentative fix – Modified collisions of bosses to avoid shots going through them.
October 21 2015
- GET EQUIPPED WITH COOL NEW MIGHTY NO. 9 SHIRT. .